Family fun

Family fun

Followers

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Need Class Set!

Okay......I tried something new this week. I gave one of my classes an essay final on Call of the Wild. I had them work in groups with a total of 6 essay questions about the novel's elements and characters. Using post-it notes, the students found examples throughout the novel they could use to justify and support possible responses to those questions. After the group activity, each student chose 4 questions they individually would actually write to for their test. The group did not have to do the same 4 questions. On test day, I brought the mobile lab of mini netbooks into my classroom and had students type their responses. The quality of writing I got from the students was unbelievable---a direct result, I believe, from the simple fact they could use the netbooks rather than hand write the test. All students told me afterwards they much preferred to type their answers....and then the wheels started to turn. The problem with our computer labs (both stationary and mobile) is that every time I wanted to use one I couldn't because of some kind of benchmark testing that was being conducted. This past week was a bonus due to the fact I got the netbooks twice--once for a webquest activity with all of my students and then for the typing of the final with one of my classes. My kids were all so encouraged and wanted to know why we couldn't have a set of netbooks in the classroom all of the time. And then I decided I have to get a grant and get a set of computers for my room. With all of Sara Kajder's suggestions given in The Tech-Savy English Classroom, a set of netbooks could put into motion a classroom full of engagement, diversity, and technology. Any ideas on how to go about getting a grant for this??????

5 comments:

  1. I have ran into the exact same problem at my school. I don't know how to write a grant, but this is something I would really like to explore! Don't they have workshops on grant writing? I would be willing to work with you on this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. try donars choose? I know you have one, doesn't hurt to try again, I am still waiting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really sure about the grant part, but I think it would be both awesome and encouraging for the students of now and yet to come to have a set of computers in the classroom. With all of the students that have a laptop at home, nearly all I'm sure, and the possible set of mini laptops, I think we could have a full set of computers for the classroom! We could do endless amounts of activites and writing with the computers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Brenda! I bet it was a blast! Maybe you could try a wall wisher assignment too. So they could type the sticky notes instead of writing them when you get the mobile lab again. I will get back with you on grant information. I do know of a way. I just can't find the information at this time. It sounds like you are on your way to a tech-savy english classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brenda,
    Wouldn't it be great if we could get a set of computers, laptops, or mini notebooks, just for the English department--This way we could design a number of activities for students to perform on a weekly basis. Here's hoping

    ReplyDelete