Family fun

Family fun

Followers

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Kelly Gallagher Holds the Key

I am currently reading/using the text Teaching Adolescent Writers and I love what the author, Kelly Gallagher, said in chapter 5 about state standards and testing. His viewpoint is to forget teaching the standards for a while and just let the kids write! Allow students to choose what they want to write and let them have tons of practice doing so. Build the love of writing first and then hone the skills. How smart is that?!

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of choosing what they want to write-today we had a discussion about following directions on manuals--I found out I am not the only who does not doe this-the kids do it too, but they know how to use any form of technology-it takes me forever--

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with letting student choose what they want to write and letting them do ton of it. It is practice in generating ideas.Words on paper is a students thoughts. I like Kelly Gallagher. Have you read Readicide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do better about letting them write whatever they choose. Trying not to worry about testing and standards is difficult. Sometimes when I do let them write whatever, I find it hard to follow, and most of the time they are so programmed to write to a prompt they have no idea what to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if we could creatively come up with a way to still teach standards but yet give choice and follow Kelly Gallagher's thoughts? It would be ideal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow and very soon we need to focus on the needs of the student learner rather than the standards at hand. Our political climate continues to loose ground with public education. Look what it has done to us!

    ReplyDelete